Subject: Re: CSMA/CD
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Justin C. Walker <justin@mac.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/28/2002 07:41:22
On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 02:45 AM, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> I guess it depends on what you consider to be part of CSMA/CD.
> Exponential
> backoff definitely has functionality in the stack.

CSMA/CD, including exponential backoff, as part of Ethernet
functionality is implemented in the hardware that interfaces to the
cable.  There is no code in any system I've ever worked with to handle
that.

There is code in the kernel's "netinet" directly to handle backoff in
TCP connections, which may be what you are thinking of.  This is handled
by code related to TCP timers.

This code has nothing to do with backoff in trying to send a single
datagram/frame.  It is used to keep probing a "stuck" TCP connection and
not flood the network and increase congestion problems.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,