Subject: tulip driver, PNIC issue
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: chuck remes <cremes@mac.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/18/2002 18:36:36
Just thought I would share a discovery with the community about the
Lite-On 82c169 PNIC.  I'm working on a tulip driver for darwin (using Bill
Paul's freebsd "dc" driver as a reference along with Jason Thorpe's netbsd
"tlp" driver) and thought I would document one of the PNIC's stupid bugs.

When transmitting a setup frame, it will underrun EVERY TIME if the link
is in a failed state (CSR6 bits 4 and 12). If the link is confirmed to be
in a good state before tx'ing the setup frame, all goes as planned.  This
took me over a week to figure out (and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it...
  :-)

Very few of the PNIC's eccentricities are documented anywhere I figured I
would add to the collection of wisdom out there so future google searches
will actually help.

cr

---
see the driver at http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwin-tulip/