Subject: Change/Clone a MAC/NIC Address?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Gene ENonymous <yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/05/2002 12:12:55
My basic question is, can I change the MAC address in the internal
ethernet interface of my Centris 650 (sn0)?

The issue I have is that I want to run DHCP for my cable modem
with InsightBB (which uses ATT's cable modem infrastructure) and
they tie the cable modem / DHCP to a single registered client
MAC. They fully allow you to re register clients, but I would
really like to be able to be able to just switch back and forth
without jumping through hoops.

I read several older threads which indicate ifconfig in solaris
and maybe linux allows the "ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" as a mechanism
to accomplish this.

I also read an old thread in the tech-net:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2001/01/16/0002.html
which indicates (I think) that at some point "they" thought
it was possible (though not with an ifconfig interface?)???

At this point a definitive answer would be helpful...

Thanks,
gene

yancm@sdf.lonestar.org