Subject: Re: Attack of the clones: turning sl*, strip*, ppp* into cloners.
To: Nick Amato <naamato@nexthop.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2002 15:28:03
>> ("How come I do not have any PPP devices. Look, I compiled them into the
>> kernel!")
>
>It's worth noting that the configuration of cloning interfaces at
>boot precludes the use of 'auto_ifconfig' in rc.conf(5),  since
>the interfaces must be created first, e.g. 'net_interfaces' must
>list them explicitly.

from /etc/rc.d/network:

                if checkyesno auto_ifconfig; then
                        tmp=`ifconfig -l`
                        for cloner in `ifconfig -C 2>/dev/null`; do
                                for int in /etc/ifconfig.${cloner}[0-9]*; do
                                        [ ! -f $int ] && break
                                        tmp="$tmp ${int##*.}"
                                done
                        done
                else
                        tmp="$net_interfaces"
                fi

so all you need are the ifconfig.whatever files for the cloners.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|