Subject: Re: kern/15463: NFS client bug - incorrect caching of file-handles
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, gnats-bugs@gnats.netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/04/2002 16:50:29
> A long time ago I also discussed a problem where the . and .. entries
> of a directory would seem to be the same inode, and other obvious
> wrong inodes were present.

This reminds me of a run-in I had with some commercial NFS-server box.
I think it was a Network Appliance and the problem was related to their
snapshot directories, but can't recall details (and I've long since
left the environment where it occurred).  I think it was handing out
non-unique file IDs within a single mount (though with different
filehandles).  Confused userland programs that expected <st_dev,st_ino>
pairs to be unique.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign