Subject: Re: Network Performance
To: Emmanuel Khamissian <ekhamissian@euresys.fr>
From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/22/2002 21:35:11
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:42:31PM +0200, Emmanuel Khamissian wrote:

> I have put a netbsd as a router between the lan and the provider. But once a
> day and sometimes more often the internal interface doesn't respond to ping,
> and of course the net turn down :-(

What kind of network interface is it? Does the problem go away
if you do 'ifconfig iface0 down; ifconfig ifac0 up'?

> My kernel is the Kame + Netbsd 1.5.2
> I raise up kern.mbuf.nmbclusters to 8192.
>
> How can i upgrade network performance ?
>
> I have another problem to, with the same kernel and 3 interfaces i have put
> two default route (with multipath routing).
> But it doesn't work. Some one say that it come from hash function which
> drive routing, but source ip and destination ip are all different. So i
> don't understand why this functinality doesn't work ! :(

You are attempting to do equal cost multipath or the same behaviour
behaviour as a Crisco router? I don't believe that is currently
supported. The routing algorithm currently decides arbitrarily which
route it is going to use and sticks with it.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning at some point that there
were patches floating around to make BSDI or FreeBSD do this.

> Thanks for your help !

Cheers, but could you set your clock to the present time -- it
messes with the ordering of my mailbox.

-w
--
Around computers it is difficult to find the correct unit of time to
measure progress.  Some cathedrals took a century to complete.  Can you