Subject: Re: dhcpd(8) _cannot_ be completely disabled on an interface
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/14/2002 02:50:41
On Sat 12 Jan 2002 at 16:02:19 -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> does the interface pppoe0 get destroyed and created at each line drop,
> or just go up and down?  it's only destruction and creation that cause
> the interface index to get bumped...

And would it not be better to re-use those numbers? That seems more
logical to me.

A possible counter-argument could be: But we always want different
numbers for different interfaces. My reaction to that is then: what is
"different"? Currently, I think, you can re-direct tunnel interfaces
(change the endpoints) without destroying them. That would qualify too
as "different". Or you could unplug an ethernet cable and put in another
one, possibly with associated address changes. Same thing. It does not
change the interface index. So I don't see any harm in re-useing the
numbers.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --They that can give up essential
\X/ land.nl --liberty to purchase a little temporary safety