Subject: Re: dhcpd(8) _cannot_ be completely disabled on an interface
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/09/2002 23:19:40
I (quoted atatat and) wrote:

>> i can't add a mapping for an ip address that's not on my local
>> network using arp(8).

>>  this# arp -s 1.2.3.4 00:50:04:68:c6:11
>>  cannot intuit interface index and type for 1.2.3.4

>> perhaps one can do such a thing using a "raw" routing socket, but i
>> wouldn't expect it.

> I expect you can.  [...]

> I'll try to rip out bits of that program and build something a bit
> like arp(8) but for which you specify everything manually, including
> the interface.  I'll see what it does for stuff like your example.

I've done this; it proved easier than I would have expected.

It works fine for me - where "works" means, it doesn't crash the
machine, and trying to ping the address (I used 1.2.3.4, completely
off-subnet for all of my interfaces) causes packets to go out on the
wire, addressed to the MAC address given.

I'll be happy to send a copy of the program to anyone who cares to ask
for one.  (Ask me for darp.c, if it's been more than a day or so, as I
may forget what I called it.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign