Subject: receive ring overrun with tlp0
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/09/2002 17:28:19
Hello,

I ' ve  been  having  a  problem  and I was wondering if anyone else has
experienced it. I have two NICs in my computer, ne0 and  tlp0.  I don 't
know  exactly what kind of card the tlp0 is but it was recognized as tlp
by GENERIC so that's what I'm using (the card came with a  DSL modem  we
had  last  summer so it may not be the best quality). Anyway, about once
every 1 - 2 days the card will stop sending and receiving  anything,  ie
pinging  the  interface  yields  nothing as does pinging any host on the
network the interface is on.  When it does this I get this error spewed
to my console:

tlp0: receive ring overrun

Can someone clarify what this error means and what could possibly be
causing this to happen?  Could it be just a cheap card?  Does this
happen to anyone else or is it one of those karma things resulting from
my using the "it works for me!" line with so many other things?  I
briefly poked through the tlp driver code but am still not certain just
what the receive ring is (a "ring" of buffers, is that right?).

Thanks,
-Scott