Subject: Re: dhcpd(8) _cannot_ be completely disabled on an interface
To: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@juniper.net>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2002 16:10:31
--KM+e2hnYAO+MCJ5e

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:49:53PM -0800, Dennis Ferguson wrote:

> > Sometimes, the DHCPOFFER message needs to be sent broadcast back to
> > the client.  In other words, the dest IP address is 0xffffffff, and
> > the dest MAC address is the client's.  I don't think you can do this
> > with UDP.
>=20
> I'd challenge you to quote the text in RFC 2131 which requires this.
> This is such a huge layering and semantic violation that I don't think
> anyone would even dare to write it down, let alone have it remain in
> the document all the way to draft standard status, even if it could
> otherwise be widely implemented.

RFC2131, Section 4.1, 5th paragraph.

   ...If 'giaddr' is zero and 'ciaddr' is zero, and the broadcast bit
   is set, then the server broadcasts DHCPOFFER and DHCPACK messages
   to 0xffffffff...

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--KM+e2hnYAO+MCJ5e

--KM+e2hnYAO+MCJ5e--