Subject: Re: Flag to exclude an interface from INADDR_ANY?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/02/2002 17:11:55
> You can already specify the listen address for regular services in
> inetd.conf, so maybe a start would be to extend the RPC service
> format to specify a single address too.

I considered mentioning that, but really, it helps only for
inetd-started servers (which may be a nontrivial number, but the basic
problem of having to configure a bajillion servers, each in its own
way, for what is really a system-wide configuration) still exists, just
reduced by the inetd-started servers.

> After that you need to start on individual programs, like portmapper,
> lockd & statd.

This is the other reason I didn't mention it: you'd need a portmapper
that supports split registration.  Does ours?  I don't think the
standard protocol supports it (though I'm not certain; it's been too
long for for the wetware version and I don't find the softcopy at a
quick look.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign