Subject: Re: LCP timeout sending Config-Requests
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/18/2001 14:19:10
Do this in stages:

1) tip the modem send the AT commands by hand.
   after the 'CONNECT xxxx' message you will (probably) see the
   far ends LCP requests.  These look like gibberish (tend to contain
   a lot of "(" and ")") are about 40 chars and repeated every few seconds.

2) Get chat to work

3) Get ppp to use chat

Modify the syslog config file (etc/syslog.conf?) to put all messages (*.*?)
to either the console or /var/log/messages.  Run a tail -f on the latter.

You almost certainly don't want your username/password in the chat
script, but in the ppp config and secrets file.
(put '*    *    password' into the secrets file)

4) get ipf running before your machine is hacked.

It has to be said that netbsd doesn't make any of this easy!

(could we add some of files that are nearly correct to the release
- especially for those versions where it is likely to be used by
non-experts)

Unfortunately I can't look at my files, if I boot netBSD I can't use mail.

    David