Subject: Re: Limiting the advertised MSS, again.
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/07/2001 18:00:03

> > Maybe all we need is a 'net.inet.tcp.mss_rtmtu' flag.... ;-)
>
> Yeah, thats probably a good idea.  It should be really easy to implement
> too.  If people agree that providing an option (default OFF of course) to
> use the per-route MTU for determining the advertises MSS is a good idea,
> then I'll whip up a patch and send-pr it.

Would it be more appropriate to define a 'headroom' value, and to reduce
the advertised MSS by that amount (from whatever it would otherwise
be calculated as)?

A slight aside - it seems that the PPPoE people have less power in the
IEEE than the VLAN bods.  Otherwise they would have got 802.1 changed
to support the larger ethernet frame size and made everyone buy new
equipment that supported the new 'variation' of the protocol.
(or is my cynicism at al all time high?)

    David