Subject: Re: Patch for timiting TCP MSS (i.e. for new PPPoE)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/04/2001 15:41:56
Is it possible - of course it is :-) everything is possible... - to
dynamically determine the TCP MSS for a given connection?

Something along the lines of:
Detect the largest segment you've had an ack for, if you have to retransmit
a large segment (more than once?) try reducing its size to (say) half way
between the largest segment size which has worked, and the current size.
Creep the MSS up until things fail again.
(a bit like the 'slow start' stuff for window sizes)

Don't think you can detect IP fragmentation being done by a router though!

I had to do someting similar for LLC2, where many ethernet cards (particularly
8-bit ISA ones) do not have enough buffer space for the 15 packet rx window
advertised by their protocol stack.  Required an interesting ACK strategy as
well

    David