Subject: Re: VLAN and netstart
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/03/2001 20:17:40
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:11:29PM -0800, Michael Graff wrote:
> Now, I have one interface and two VLANs on it.  The question is, where
> do I put the "ifconfig vlan1 create", "ifconfig vlan1 vlan 1 vlanif fxp0",
> and the actual "ifconfig vlan1 inet ..." statements?

I think you create /etc/ifconfig.vlan0 and /etc/ifconfig.vlan1. Put 'create'
as the first line of each file, and further configuration on subsequent
lines. There have been discussions about doing this sort of thing with gif
interfaces in the past - check the list archives.

> Even if I put them in /etc/ifconfig.vlan1, in which I don't think
> multiline configurations are supported,

I think it does work, on -current, at least. I'm not so sure about 1.5.x.

> ipf won't properly configure itself because at the time it is run, vlan1
> doesn't exist.

I can't help you here, I'm afraid.

Ian.