Subject: Re: route(8) doesn't always exit(1) on an error
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Tad Hunt <tad@entrisphere.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/19/2001 09:55:15
In message <Pine.NEB.4.40.0111152040240.22908-100000@home.duh.org>, you said:
;On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, der Mouse wrote:
;
;: > I want to use the route(8) (or an equivalent command) invoked from a
;: > program that adds and removes static routes.
;:
;: Why use a program, instead of manipulating the routing table yourself
;: directly with a routing socket?  It's arguably easier, almost certainly
;: faster, and completely avoids the problem you're having.

the code inside route(8) looked pretty complicated.  It seemed a whole
lot quicker to just invoke the route(8) command, and later on if it
becomes too slow (it won't -- the static routes will hardly ever change),
or for correctness (when we have time) replace it with API calls.

-Tad