Subject: Re: about src.tgz
To: susan hayes <susan0101@hotmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/04/2001 17:04:42
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, susan hayes wrote:
> It is OK to rebuild the kernel. Now I want to rebuild ipf. I just extracted
> /usr/src/dist/ipf directory from the src.tgz. When I type "make" under
> /usr/src/dist/ipf/ directory, the make report errors.
>    I just want to rebuild ipf, do I need to expand the whole src.tgz file(it
> is a large file)? And I have another question? If I install the files in the
> src.tgz file, is there any conflict with my kernel files (included in the
> syssrc.tgz).
>    I think that syssrc.tgz include the kernel source. What does the src.tgz
> is for? How do I add the src.tgz into the source tree expanded by
> syssrc.tgz?

just unpack them all in the same place.

To build IPF, you cd to src/usr.sbin/ipf and type "make" (and "make
install", as root). The Makefiles in there are are adjusted to pick up the
sources in the "dist" dir you mention, you are not expected to run
"make" in the "dist" dir,though. This mechanism is known as
"reachover" Makefiles.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html