Subject: Re: history, design, or both?
To: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Mike Pelley <mike@solidum.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/02/2001 20:08:17
Feico Dillema wrote:

> I think it is historical, combined with having no reason to change it.
> Having your ehterhnet interface called eth0 consistently, has only
> advantages on desktop machines with only a single ethernet card.

Is that not reason enough?  It would be very nice to be able to swap a
failing ethernet card with a replacement with a different chipset
without having to edit several files in /etc.

Ideally, you could swap out an ethernet card in a box with multiple
cards and not have it's number change, which would allow one to fix a
hardware problem without editing files (good for 3rd party remote data
centre fixes).  I'm not sure how cards are numbered on different arch's,
however, so this may not be a practical goal.

Mike.