Subject: 2 small network hacks...
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: None <kml@selresearch.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/08/2001 18:04:05
I wanted to integrate a couple of small hacks that I did for a previous
employer (who is happy for this stuff to see further use).

The first was to add support for FreeBSD's TCP_NOPUSH socket option.
This is somewhat similar to Linux's CORK stuff in that it will
make sure that it only sends out full TCP segments.  If you've
provided less than a full segment of data, it'll wait indefinitely
for you to either give it more data, or turn off the NOPUSH option,
or close the socket.

This involves just a few lines of code, and allows sloppy application
programmers to get even sloppier.  That may or may not be a win.

The second was even smaller and easier.  I set up redirected routes
so that they automatically went into the route timeout queue, and
would disappear after ten minutes or so.  We needed this, because,
for really bizarre reasons, it wasn't going to be possible to run a
route daemon on our system.  It seems to me that there are some
situations in which this might be useful.  Of course, it'd be
controlled by a sysctl, and have another sysctl to control the
timeout period.  And it would be off by default.

Does anyone have objections to either of these minor hacks?
Both of 'em involve little enough code that I figure there
will be more changes to documentation than to the code.

Thanks,

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net