Subject: Re: Hardware IPv4/TCP/UDP checksumming support
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?= <paalh@unik.no>
From: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/07/2001 07:43:17
Just for reference, all of the chips I know of understand IP/UDP/TCP
headers sufficiently to compute the checksum.  They transfer the packet
and their computed checksum in 1 or 2 DMA's.  All the driver has to do is
turn the feature on in the card and then retrieve/compare the checksum.

The card can't checksum under all circumstances, when packets are
encapsulated in a form it doesn't understand.  The cards generally
have very nieve layer 3 / layer 4 implementations as they can't spend
much time processing per packet.

Mike

--
Michael P. Lyle