Subject: Re: Ricochet STRIP support for 128Kbps models?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20010809T110254@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/09/2001 11:48:45
hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> I wonder how far I can get with this 24.5dB gain antenna here...

I've seen urls where folks set up 10-20 mile 802.11b links.  The
biggest catch seems to be that the antennas and lead-in cables are
still priced like industrial items.

If some of the San Francisco Bay area folks want to try setting up a
link, I might be game.  I've got a clear shot to much of the south bay
from my roof.  (I can also dig some other URL's if there is a general
interest in this sort of thing.  With high-speed ISP's closing shop
and filing chapter 11 on a daily basis around here it might be nice to
have a fall-back connection.)

> So according to their website, there's yet another reason not to buy the
> linksys cards.  only 14dBm or <50mW.   (in addition to NetBSD not being able
> to use WEP on the linksys cards).

Yup, to be exact thats only 25 mW.

-wolfgang
--