Subject: Re: Ricochet STRIP support for 128Kbps models?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20010808T131923@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/08/2001 13:32:55
hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20010808T125758@wsrcc.com>  wrote:
>  > One thing to remember is that the current crop of 802.11b don't
>  > transmit anywhere near the limit either.  The cheap ones are 10mW and
>  > the good ones are 100mW.
>
> can you cite a source for the above?

One of the good ones at 100mW is here: (search for "Available Transmit
Power Settings")

        http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/a350c_ds.htm

One of the cheaper (looks like straight prism-II) designs is at:
(search "Max Output Power")

         http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao340ap/prodlit/airoi_ds.htm

Many of the other companies will try to hide their TX power specs or
only quote them in dBm.  Just keep a cheat sheet around to decode that
gibberish.

    1W (30 dBm)
    100 mW (20 dBm)
    10 mW (10 dBm)
    1 mW (0 dBm)

For emacs users, here is what I use to convert back and forth:

(defun dbm (x)
  "Convert DBM (decibels-milliwatt) to watts."
  (* 1e-3 (expt 10.0 (/ x 10.0))))

(defun todbm (x)
  "Convert a power in WATTS to dbm (decibels-milliwatt)."
  (* 10.0 (log (* 1e3 x) 10.0)))

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>