Subject: Re: Ricochet STRIP support for 128Kbps models?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20010808T125758@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/08/2001 13:02:58
hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> My albeit limited knowledge of RF says that ricochet (900Mhz) is more likely
> to want to 'bend' or 'reflect' than 802.11 (2400+Mhz).  I believe both are
> limited to the same 1W for regulatory reasons.

One thing to remember is that the current crop of 802.11b don't
transmit anywhere near the limit either.  The cheap ones are 10mW and
the good ones are 100mW.

The second issue helping ricochet is that they transmit the data quite
a bit slower.  If one transmits the data at 1/10th the rate one gets
to average the noise out for 10x as long.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/