Subject: Re: trying to ftp thru NAT box
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/02/2001 08:19:44
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:08:59PM -0700, adam johnson wrote:
> >
> > I'm running a NAT machine[C] for a few computers in my home.  It's worked
> > great except I've been unable to allow friend to ftp to my machine which is
> > behind the NAT box.  I can ftp almost all sites, but can not ftp other
> > computers behind routers/or other NAT boxes.
> >
> > Can this be done? Is it possible to set up a ftp server on my computer
>
> This is hard, given the ftp protocol itself (opens dynamic connections for
> data transfers). This would require some kind of ftp proxy, but for 'rdr'
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> --

I also have tried doing something similar and had problems. I have nat
running on my machine with modem access to internet. I can then access
the internet from other machines inside my home. However, I also have
two ethernet cards in the machine for two separate internal networks.
(I have old legacy 10-base-2? coaxial ethernet stuff). With nat off, I
can access the two networks from each other (10.1.0.0 and 10.2.0.0)
but when I enable nat, the connection between the two seems to break
with what I assume is nat occuring on all addresses not on the same
ethernet segment. Can I fix this?

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net