Subject: Re: excessive MII/CRC errors from tlp with Macronix card....
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/31/2001 07:49:04
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: > Maybe that "broken MicroWire interface..." message indicates the source of
: > your problems?  But you might try a newer kernel, just in case that makes
: > a difference.
:
: Hmmm....  sounds possible, especially given that there do appear to be
: packets lost (or at least significant "data jitter" introduced) when the
: errors are reported.

However, I receive the same problems with an interface that does not show
a "broken MicroWire interface":

tlp0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: Lite-On 82C115 Ethernet, pass 2.5
tlp0: interrupting at irq 9
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:cc:e0:31:0d
tlp0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX

tlp1 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Lite-On 82C115 Ethernet, pass 2.5
tlp1: interrupting at irq 5
tlp1: Ethernet address 00:a0:cc:e0:30:c7
tlp1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX

tlp1: receive error: MII error
tlp1: receive error: CRC error

...Oddly enough, I get errors from tlp1 all the time, but have only received
an error from tlp0 once.  (When I've swapped the cards' locations so that
they probe in the opposite order, I only got errors from tlp0 at the time --
the same physical card.)

Note that tlp1 is the one I have connected to a cable modem, so it's
possible that some odd cable-specific packets are tripping up the driver
and/or card somewhere.  Since I'm MAC-address-locked on the cable modem,
it's a PITA to swap cards and try it the other way round, but I will attempt
such a feat soon if there's no other opinions from the driver writer, who
has been Bcc:'d on this.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/