Subject: Re: should the default route get a new interface
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus A. Boeing <markus@boeing-online.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/28/2001 20:53:06
Hi,

I wasn't following the whole track, so I may be totally of topic. If so,
mea culpa...

 From reading you mail I do not see a requirement for routing or a default
route. If you just have multiple network cards in your box and a single IP
network/sub-network per NIC, then all networks are connected networks. In
an IP network there is no need for routing protocols or a default route to
communicate with connected networks. If you have IP networks/sub-networks
that are not directly connected to your box then you need either a default
route or a routing protocol to reach them. In that case dynamic routing
protocols -such as OSPF or RIPv2- can provide significant benefit.

My question would be, why do you need a default route if all networks are
directly connected networks?

Later,
/Markus.