Subject: Re: should the default route get a new interface automatically?
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/27/2001 19:13:43
[ On Saturday, July 28, 2001 at 08:34:17 (+0900), itojun@iijlab.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: should the default route get a new interface automatically?
>
> 	do you know what routing daemons are for? ;-)

Ah, I don't think so -- especially not on simple multi-homed servers.
We're not talking about anything really massively dynamic here -- just
a way to avoid the obvious silly issues that the rest of the in-kernel
networking code seems to quite happily work around....

An IP route should be just an IP route, not an interface route -- the
interface tag in an ordinary IP route shouldn't have precedence.  After
all I didn't set the interface tag manually when I initially assigned
the route -- it was learned dynamically.  Fixing it currently involves
having to do the very unobvious -- delete the route and then add it back
again exactly as it was!

I know in the M$ world-view I'd be rebooting every time I wiggled a
cable, but hopefully we can avoid even having to reconfigure the same
things over and over again in *BSD....

--
							Greg A. Woods