Subject: Re: excessive MII/CRC errors from tlp with Macronix card....
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Castor Fu <castor@egocast.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/27/2001 16:32:05
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> First the tlp problem.  I've got an el-cheapo 10/100 card (IIRC it's the
> one Rogers@Home shipped with my cable modem) installed in my IBM PC 325
> server running 1.5W 2001/06/24.  It's recognized by tlp as:
>
> 	tlp0 at pci1 dev 7 function 0: Macronix MX98715AEC-x Ethernet, pass 2.5
> 	tlp0: broken MicroWire interface detected; setting SROM size to 1Kb
> 	tlp0: interrupting at irq 15
> 	tlp0: Ethernet address 00:80:c6:f1:46:80
> 	tlp0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX
>
> I get thousands of these messages when almost any traffic hits the card
> (I'm using it as the main interface for now):
>
> 	Jul 27 17:17:24 proven /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: MII error
> 	Jul 27 17:17:24 proven /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: CRC error
>
> It's still very fast and there don't seem to be any extra errors from
> netstat's point of view.  Everything works fine -- some stuff works
> better and faster of course now that the system talks to my core network
> at 100baseTX/FDX.

We would see problems like this fairly often with this chip and the
sohoware cards.  I ended up disabling full duplex in our configurations
which mostly made things go away, but the problem would sometimes still
creep up.  Never did find out exactly what caused it, and when
the chip got in this state, sometimes it wouldn't ever come out, and
the interface would have to be reset.