Subject: RE: Router Alert IPv4 Option
To: 'itojun@iijlab.net ' <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Randy Turner <rturner@2wire.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/22/2001 20:10:21

I was operating from a traditional layering perspective, being as the point
at which IP options are examined is logically a long way from where a
"socket" is known about.  It's where you're deciding to do "fast-path"
routing (if a fast-path exists in the implementation). When you demultiplex
incoming data into a socket (probably using a TCP/UDP port selector), you've
long ago "processed" the router alert option.

I understand the value of having certain routing daemons in userland, it's
just I'm not sure why they would care about setting a socket option for the
router alert option.

Randy