Subject: RE: Router Alert IPv4 Option
To: 'itojun@iijlab.net ' <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Randy Turner <rturner@2wire.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/22/2001 17:42:53

I wouldn't think setsockopt() would be the right "level" to implement the
router alert option. For the dominant cases (rsvp, igmpv2) you may need to
access to kernel resources or do other things with the packet that implies
control that you don't have in userland. This option seems like it requires
dedicated kernel modules, and that the router alert option processing
enable/disable flag would be global (and settable via something like "ndd"
under solaris, et.al.). If you push this up to userland, you may have to
create a whole other set of APIs that allow control over otherwise
non-exposed kernel resources or entry points.

Randy