Subject: Re: cleanup telnetd
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/19/2001 14:25:50
[ On Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 16:41:27 (+0900), itojun@iijlab.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cleanup telnetd
>

> >> 	are there any objection in cleaning up libexec/telnetd source code,
> >Is there ever a chance that a new version from the original
> >maintainer(s) might be imported again someday?
>
> 	who is the original maintainer? :-)

Well, the current version of telnet & telnetd was imported from an
October 23, 1995 release made available at ftp.cray.com.

See the README in usr.bin/telnet.

However it would appear that there's been no newer release since as
here's a directory listing of the same location on ftp.cray.com:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel      26035 Apr 13  1999 README
-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel       1888 Apr 13  1999 README.encryption
-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel      48117 Apr 13  1999 sys_term.c.95.10.23
-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel     386783 Apr 13  1999 telnet.95.10.23.NE.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel       4757 Apr 13  1999 telnet.95.10.23.diff.Z
-rw-r--r--    1 root     wheel     310770 Apr 13  1999 telnet.rfc.tar.Z

(the file timestamps are newer, but the names are the same)

This would tend to suggest that the maintainers of that release have
dropped any support for it, though of course I don't speak for them.

There's also the version in the GNU "inetutils" release, but it appears
to have stagnated almost as much, and of course what changes are in it
may now be under the GPL so it may not be suitable for NetBSD in any
case....

> 	if one of our goal is to provide super-portable telnet/telnetd,
> 	we can cleanup those #ifdef just like lukemftp{d,}.

I'm not sure I see how undoing portability features in the original
release will make it more portable....

If you mean instead that it could be migrated to use GNU Autoconf....

>       however, as
> 	many people are using ssh^H^H^Hsecure shell all the time, i don't feel
> 	the need for super-portable telnet/telnetd.

There is that!  ;-)

I almost got worried about the telnetd bug myself, but then I remembered
that I block all telnet access to my network....  phew!

--
							Greg A. Woods