Subject: Re: better ARP handling in IPv4 alias address
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/03/2001 19:25:45
>	there are a couple of issues remain, however (i should have appended
>	it to the PR):
>	- for off-link destinations, the primary (1st)  address will be used as
>	  the source address on packets.  we can still trick it by changing
>	  rt->rt_ifa though.
>	- if the primary (1st) address gets removed, subnet route (like 10/8
>	  for 10.0.0.1/8) goes away.  to fix this we need to change rt_ifinit()
>	  substantially.

for this to work really well, i feel that there should be a way to
*insert* an address at the head of the list of addresses for a given
interface.

i've had "problems" where the "primary" ipv4 address was removed via
"-alias" and then a new address was added via "alias".

"alias" adds to the end of list, "-alias" removes arbitrarily from the
list, "delete" removes the head of the list, and the absence of the
alias keyword *sets* the head of the list (at the same time deleting
what was there).  the "insert at the head of the list" bit is missing.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|