Subject: Re: releasing IP
To: None <netbsd@online.no>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/2001 15:47:00
On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:01:49AM +0200, =D8yvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:
>=20
> Hmm.. I was a little quick about sending this one away. I forgot to
> describe my actual problem. What is happening is that I have bougt
> myself an internet connection through cable modem, and the ISP assigns
> IP adresses dynamically. Therefore I have setup NetBSD to obtain IP as =
> DHCP-client. The problem is that I just get an "no DHCPOFFERS recieved"
> when dhcpclient starts. I have link with the modem, and the modem blink=
> on send and recieve with a frequency of a few seconds when I run
> dhclient. It goes like:
> send blinks, and recieve blink just a second after...then after a few
> second the samething happens again, until dhclient gives up and the
> error message shows.

You might need to create /etc/dhclient.conf:
      interface "blah0" {
           send host-name "your assigned name from cable guy";
           send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
           request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
                domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
           require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
           script "/etc/dhclient-script";
       }