Subject: Re: clear m_pkthdr on MGETHDR()
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/01/2001 03:12:24
>> Can we at least use memset() so that the compiler might in-line it?
> [...]
> if we use bzero/memset we do not need to change MGETHDR() code when
> we change m->m_pkthdr.  so i like bzero/memset than a set of "foo =
> 0" statements.

I note that struct pkthdr includes a pointer.  Is it correct to deduce
that NetBSD doesn't care about the nonportability of using bzero/memset
on a pointer?  (There is nothing in C that requires that all-0-bits be
anything meaningful, or even copyable, as a pointer value, much less a
nil pointer.  At least at present; maybe a language lawyer can say
whether the latest C99 or whatever it's called will change this?)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign