Subject: Re: gre tunneling causing predictable reboot
To: Heiko Rupp <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Heiko Rupp <pilhuhn@web.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/05/2001 20:16:30
----- Original Message -----
From: <itojun@iijlab.net>

> >new RFC on GRE, that updates RFC1701/2 a bit.
>
> if it is permitted to break existing configuration, i would suggest
> redesigning gre(4) to take SIOCSIFPHYADDR, and split outer header
> address pair configuration from inner pair.  just like gif(4) does.

I haven't looked at gif(4) so far, but I can imagine, that this would make
sense. Also I beleive, that gre is not that heavily used, that a interface
change could still be done. Perhaps with a big warning out of ifconfig if
the old syntax is used or such in addition to release notes etc.

> outer header address pair should not be mixed up with interface address
> configuration, IMHO.

Yes. Originally I only wanted it done with greconfig and no ifconfig
at all.

    Heiko

--
Heiko W.Rupp, hwr@pilhuhn.de, hwr@netbsd.org