Subject: Re: always print IPv4 alias addresses
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/28/2001 19:47:10
At 16:42 -0700 4/27/01, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

>Sounds good to me.  The whole notion of "aliases" seems silly to me,
>really... they're just addresses on an interface.  I think the only
>reason we have "alias" is because ifconfig and its ioctls were poorly
>designed in the first place :-)

Um, well, there is the question of what IP address gets stuffed into
a packet without one (i.e. most applications don't bother to set one,
so you get one from the interface that the routing table decides to
send the packet out), and that marks the difference between the
interface's "address" and an "alias".

	Erik <fair@clock.org>