Subject: Re: SSH/Telnet/FTP
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvin_Halfdan_Thuv?= <netbsd@online.no>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/14/2001 10:38:25
On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:54:55AM +0200, Øyvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:
> I've got only a few more steps left to finally make my NetBSD macine totally remote-controllable, so I never have to open my "server-closet" again. X-Window runs just fine with the display on my Amiga (though a little slow), so what I need is to be able to login using Telnet or SSH, and ftp access(to e.g. start X-clients). The problem is that I only get connection refused both with Telnet and FTP. Using ftp on the NetBSD side to the amiga works fine. However, Telnet'ing into NetBSD does not work either from the amiga, nor the NetBSD machine itself. I have edited /etc/hosts.equiv (only for rsh?)and /etc/ftpusers, but I still cannot connect. What am I overseeing?

For telnet to work, you may need to:

1) Turn on telnet on the server machine. Make sure that inetd=YES in
/etc/rc.conf. Edit /etc/inetd.conf and uncomment the lines with telnet
in them. Restart inetd.

2) Make sure that the policies in /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny aren't
preventing you from logging in.

best wishes,
--
Chris