Subject: Re: $flushroutes
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/02/2001 16:09:46

> 	hello, there seem to be some problem with "flashroutes" rc.conf
> 	directive.  it now calls
> 		route -n flush
> 	and it nukes some of the important IPv6 routes.

> 	do people object if we change the meaning as follows?

> 	current:
> 	$flushroutes: nuke all routes (route -n flush)

> 	new behavior:
> 	$flushroutes: nuke IPv4 routes, YES by default (route -n flush -inet)
> 	$flushroutes6: nuke IPv6 routes, NO by default (route -n flush -inet6)

A couple of additional notes:

1.
>   E-5. /etc/rc.d/network executes "route -n flush" by default, which removes
>        preinstalled IPv6 routes, specifically, a route for fe80::%lo0/64.
>        Although this would not be so harmful for daily use, you might want to
>        change the line as follows:
>        route -n flush -inet
>        so that only IPv6 routes would be removed, or add the following

"IPv6" at the above line should be "IPv4".

2. The problem pontentially exists in NetBSD-current or NetBSD 1.5.
   However, the kernel of those versions do not installed the IPv6
   routes in question, so the problem does not appear on those systems
   (luckily).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.