Subject: is ip forwarding/nat so cpu consuming?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Bill K. <stud1239@di.uoa.gr>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/22/2001 23:01:33
hi

i'm using a netbsd-1.5 box as a gateway to the internet. It is set up
with firewalling (with ipf) and nat translation. it is a celeron 375Mhz.
This box usually stays on all day (doing nothing..!). When i telnet it,
it ALWAYS says that system load is about 0.15. At compile times this can
go up to 2.5 or 3. Even after the boot the load is about 0.15. I've seen
a 486dx/2 66 set up exactly like my celeron (but with freebsd), displaying
system loads 0.00 (my linux says that, too!). Is ipf/nat SO cpu
demanding.., can anyone guess what is happening here? (Of, course, top
states that CPU states are all 0.0%)... Anyone?

thanx,
bill