Subject: Re: Persistent WEP keys
To: None <feico@PASTA.cs.uit.no>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/09/2001 17:14:19
> Hrumpf! I spoke to quickly again. I had tested with a 1.5.x kernel but
> looked at -current source. I'm sorry for wasting your resources here
> somewhat. I can get my card to use the persistent key with -current
> kernel, simply by configuring an arbitrary temporary key, like:
>
> ifconfig an0 nwid "blah" nwkey " " up

Wow!  I didn't know such *feature*.  It also works fine for me.
I guess the firmware automatically switch to persistent key if
temporary key is invalid.

> Still, maybe the above split in ifconfig parameters would still be
> more elegant?

What should happen if user delete key and enable wep simultaneously?
	ifconfig an0 wep -nwkey temp -nwkey persist

I'd like to make setting key and enabling wep as an atomic action
from the command usage point of view.

How about this?
	ifconfig <if> nwkey persist	# enable WEP with persistent key
	ifconfig <if> -nwkey		# disable WEP (also delete temp key)
Programming persistent key can be a different interface (anconfig).

Atsushi