Subject: Re: PPPoA?
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@excite.co.uk>
From: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/02/2001 22:40:25

> On 02 Feb 2001 10:22:43 +0000, dme@dme.org wrote:
>
> >  * ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de [2001-02-02 09:49:33]
> >  > > I have a requirement to route my home network over a PPPoA link -
> running
> >  > > of a USB DSL modem.
> >  >
> >  > PPP over ATM?
> >
> >  I'd guess `yes'.  The `domestic' BT ADSL service in the UK is provided
> >  as PPP over ATM.  There are two flavours (each with slight variants):
> >     - ethernet delivery (originally three boxes - splitter, ATM router
> >       and IP rotuter, now just one box and a new wall unit (splitter in
> >       wall unit, box is ATM router, IP router and hub),
> >     - USB delivery (splitter in wall unit, Alcatel `stingray' USB<->ATM
> >       box).
> >
> >  The ethernet service is offered in a variety of forms - NAT, non-NAT,
> >  512kbps, 1Mbps, 2Mbps downstream, all 256kbps upstream.
> >
> >  The USB service is offered with a single IP address (non-NAT) at
> >  512kbps downstream, 256kbps upstream.
> >
> >  All of these are known as BT IPstream products.  There is an ATM
> >  terminated service (Datastream), but I'm unsure if that is
> >  commercially launched yet.
> >
> >  Almost all ADSL activity in the UK is through these BT wholesale
> >  services.
> >
> >  To get the USB service working under NetBSD we'd need:
> >     - a driver for the Alcatel USB device,
> >     - an ATM implementation, with glue to the above,
> >     - a PPPoA implementation.
> >
> >  My company (http://www.thus.net) previously offered to provide support
> >  for NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux driver developers for the Alcatel,
> >  but noone stepped forward[1].
>
> Where on earth did you offer? I'm a Demon customer and NetBSD developer and
> I'd love to see an Alcatel Speedtouch driver for NetBSD. Last rumour I heard
> was that BT put a stop to the OpenSource driver being developed by an
> Alcatel engineer. Alcatel are currently saying there are going to offer a
> closed source driver - I guess for Linux only.

I believe the guy that wrote the linux USB driver is porting it to
*BSD.  Nick Hibma, who does a fair bit with USB on FreeBSD (cc'd)
knows the details - any comments Nick ?

User-ppp (pkgsrc/net/userppp) has support for PPPoA, but I must admit
that I've never looked at the code in detail except to see if it'd
break anything else.  Given working USB/atm support, I know of two
people here in the UK that have promised to give Nick & I access to
their ADSL/ATM setup, so finishing things off should be trivial...

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>