Subject: Re: input/output error on NFS mounted directory
To: TATEOKA Takamichi <tate@cs.uec.ac.jp>
From: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/31/2001 16:05:21
On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, TATEOKA Takamichi wrote:

>From: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
>> I got errors when I tried to mount and use a NFS mounted dirtory.
>> It shows as mounted in `mount`, but I cant access it.
>>
>> # mount -a
>> exec: mount_nfs -b -P server:/pkgsrc /usr/pkgsrc
>> mount: statfs /usr/pkgsrc: Input/output error
> [snip]
>> What causes the problem?  Thanks
>
>  Do you (root == nobody) have proper access permission for the mount
>directory on the server?
>
>  Any file access, includes statfs and chdir, requires access
>permission, and root has very limited permission (== nobody on most
>systems) over NFS.

This seems to be the problem.  My traceshows that VFS_CHECKEXP()
on the mount point returns EACCESS (permission denied) error.
But, the permission of the files and directories on the server are
set to -rw-r--r-- and drwxrwxr-x respectively.  Even nobody should
be able to access them, I think.  How should I change the
permission to make it accessable?  Thanks.

          Regards

            Ruibiao