Subject: Re: IP-Routing Performance?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/22/2001 18:50:50
    Manuel> with a PC unless you go with a higth-end motherboard (a single
    Manuel> gigabit is close to the 32bit/33Mhz PCI bus, so you need 2 or
    Manuel> more PCI busses, or 64bit slots, or both depending on the number

  A 32bit/33Mhz PCI bus might theorectically do 1Gb/s. However, there are
a great number of practical reasons why you won't get more than half that.

  A 64bit/33Mhz PCI bus that I had experience with didn't get more than
500Mb/s for reasons relating to FIFO sizes on PCI targets being too small
to sustain the bursts involved. (There is also a PCI churn problem with
access to receive descriptors). These problems were more local.

  [We had electrical problems with using a 64bit/66Mhz slot.]

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|gigabit is no[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems   Oh where, oh where has|problem  with[
]     mcr@solidum.com   www.solidum.com   the little fishy gone?|PAX.port 1100[