Subject: Re: IPv4 multicast set/getsockopt, specifying interface index
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Hiroto Shibuya <shibuya@xedia.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/12/2001 23:17:34
Excerpt of message (sent 13 January 2001) by itojun@iijlab.net:

>	the following patch uses 0.0.0.0/8 as 24bit interface index value.
>	on getsockopt(IP_MULTICAST_IF) it will return the value the user has
>	set.  does it look right, or messy?
> 	(Dave Thaler suggested this based on RFC1724 section 3.3 - RIPv2
> 	MIB, and he said there's other system doing/will be doing
>       this)

I was not aware of that part of RFC1724, but within our router, in
private MIBs and internal implementation, next-hop value has been used
as ifIndex if it falls in 0.0.0.0/8.  I thought it was ugly hack but
now I feel somewhat better to know that it is a "standard" hack.

--
Hiroto Shibuya
Lucent Technologies