Subject: Re: nat configuration
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/09/2001 09:46:06
Cleaning out old mail...

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

> never having played with ipnat before, i find myself a little
> perplexed.  what i *want* is a network of machines at home that can
> all reach the internet with equal (roughly) facility.  what i've found
> is not quite that.
>
> the man page for ipnat.conf suggest, as an example, that
>
>        map ppp0 10.0.0.0/8 -> 209.1.2.0/24 portmap tcp/udp 1025:65000
>        map ppp0 10.0.0.0/8 -> 209.1.2.0/24
>
> will almost do what i want.  when i translate the /8 to my /24, and
> 209.1.2.0/24 to 0.0.0.0/32 (to match my ppp link), i get connectivity
> for all my machines, but only one of them can have an active ping (to
> the outside world) running at any given time.
>
> is there a way to do this?  the userspace ppp implementation in pkgsrc
> can do this, but i'd rather use a kernel space ppp implementation.

Are you sure the userspace ppp implimentation can do that?

I use NAT over my DSL, and only one of the boxes inside my net can ping
out at the same time. It's not a ppp issue, and I'd be surprised if using
a different ppp made it work. :-)

The problem is that NAT doesn't support it.

Hmmm.... I just tried it, and now it works! I thought it didn't used to.
Either I misremembered, or it's been fixed.

All my machines are running 1.5.

If it really works with userland ppp (which I thought was a downgrade from
1.5's ppp) but not kernel ppp, then there's a ppp bug.

Take care,

Bill