Subject: Re: kerberos on laptops
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/31/2000 14:14:09
    John> controls whether or not Kerberos is used by various programs like
    John> login.  In my laptop's environment, I use kerberos for some specific
    John> applications, but not for authorization of login. So I have to have
    John> an /etc/not.krb5.conf and setenv KRB5_CONFIG to /etc/not.krb5.conf
    John> in my dotfiles. Otherwise login hangs interminably. This is

  Actually lapdogs cause all sorts of other problems.

  I have just switched from a K5-100 (with a 19" sun monitor) to using
a PIII-650 notebook (with 17" SVGA, alas) monitor at home. Previously, my
notebook was always considered to be "mobile" (i.e. in motion) even when at
home.
  Now, I'd like it to NFS mount (later CODA, sooner NFS-over-IPv6-over-IPsec)
my file servers when at home. But, if I enable AMD in rc.conf, then that
screws me on the road. I also want to change:
       1) my SMTP smart-host
       2) my WWW cache
       3) my default $PRINTER
       4) my IPsec policies
       5) my keyboard mapping (I have a keyboard on my desk with CTRL in the
              right place)

  based upon whether or not I have a network, and where I am.

  Of course, I'd also like to do this without rebooting, but that would be a
bonus. (it appears that my notebook does can not switch keyboards without
a reboot...)

  We need a general solution to this.

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|gigabit is no[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems   Oh where, oh where has|problem  with[
]     mcr@solidum.com   www.solidum.com   the little fishy gone?|PAX.port 1100[