Subject: Re: ZPC rule matching -- first match only?
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/29/2000 22:53:28
>Some people are a little uneasy with the idea of mixing both "first match"
>and "last match" rules, in other words "quick has to die".

"quick" gives me the option, and options are good.  no?  maybe a
global "quick" or "not quick" switch would be good to have.

>I must admit that I'm not really all that happy with it, either.  I'd
>rather have a first-match only rule set.  With some cleverness and a
>slight extension of libpcap, you could even have BPF direct the dispatch
>of the action (something that is MUCH harder, if not impossible, to do
>if you have last-match rules).

mm...dispatching.  for no good reason that makes me think of the
"routing" facility that ipf has, whereby i can say "this packet goes
out that interface *now*".  can i do that with zpc?  will it be added
if not?  did you already discuss this and i missed it?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|