Subject: Re: change in bind?
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/17/2000 13:15:39
[ On Friday, November 17, 2000 at 12:00:36 (-0500), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: change in bind?
>
> from doc/misc/migration:
>
>    1.1. Unimplemented Options and Changed Defaults
>
>    BIND 9.0.0 supports most, but not all but not of the named.conf
>    options of BIND 8.  Unimplemented options include those for selective
>    (per-domain) forwarding, sortlists, statistics, and process limits;
>    for a complete list, see doc/misc/options.  We plan to implement most
>    of these in in BIND 9.1.

Ah hah!  Thank you!  I han't seen that part yet...  :-)

The one feature I personally might miss in production would be
"statistics", assuming its still necessary to see in a DB dump what
server a given record was learned from....  I'm not sure that's enough
to prevent me from using it in production though -- the "views" feature
is very compelling!

> oh, and the documentation isn't finished yet.

Bah, who needs that stuff!  UTSL!  :-)

Obviously I didn't read any of it yet!  :-)

> the point was that the base system doesn't depend on something not
> installed.

it's chicken & egg man, not black & white....  if you install bind9 from
pkgsrc then you don't need any pre-requisites in the base system --
they'll be installed for you.  if you integrate bind9 into the system
then obviously you'll have to integrate the pre-requisites too, i.e. a
pthreads library, and there's one that works already for at least some
platforms.  Obviously if bind9 completely replaced bind8 in the system
then the chosen pthreads library would first have to be made to work on
all platforms, but that's also a given.

i.e. complaining that bind9 needs pthreads and thus cannot be integrated
into the base system is bogus -- obviously you integrate pre-requisite
things along with it if that's the path you take.  if you don't want to
take that path because it's too much work for the available resources
then that's the way things are, but that's entirely different from
saying that you can't integrate bind9 because it needs pthreads!

--
							Greg A. Woods