Subject: Re: change in bind?
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/17/2000 03:25:38
[ On Friday, November 17, 2000 at 03:07:44 (-0500), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: change in bind?
>
> but it's also lacking others that previous
> releases of bind *do* have.

please name them -- I haven't run across any yet and the release notes
don't mention any either (except for one apparently cross-platform bug
that's pretty minor)

> grep zxfr?  i dunno.

If you'd seen the proposed patches (which did actually fix the problem),
and the very different fixes released in 8.2.2-P7, I don't think you'd
be so happy about any of the 8.2.x code....

>  i've been running 8.2.3 betas for a long time now.

and you call the v9 code less stable?  that's hilarious!  even I haven't
tried running the 8.2.3 betas in production yet!  :-)

> last time i checked, that wasn't part of the base netbsd distribution,
> so i don't think any threaded apps will become part of the base
> distribution first.

true enough, but something has to push the envelope....  as much as I
dislike threads in user-land code, BINDv9 seems to have made very good
use of them

> let's see...i can't build my name server because it requires a threads
> package that i can't download and install because i need a name server
> to get to the ftp site.  catch 22.

That's totally bogus.

First off NetBSD comes with a functional resolver (that you won't be
replacing anyway) that'll get you past the hurdle, even if you have to
point it at a cache server half way around the world to do so.

Secondly you can do your package builds on a separate development
machine (i.e. one that's already functioning autonomously) and test them
before even installing them on the target system where they'll be used.

--
							Greg A. Woods