Subject: Re: ATM en driver on i386 isn't work on NetBSD-1.5_BETA2
To: None <seirios@matrix.iri.co.jp>
From: Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/09/2000 22:48:15
HEO SeonMeyong wrote:
> 	I tried to use ATM en driver on NetBSD-1.5_(ALPHA|BETA2) and
> 	it isn't worked.

Did you actually try to use the card?
The messages indicate:
 - the driver tried several combinations of alignment and burst sizes
 - some of the combinations failed
   (as oneo-san pointed out, it depends on the PCI chipset and the
    motherboard design)
 - the driver concluded that the hardware can handle the burst size of
   64 bytes but the address must be aligned

It is still possible that the driver fails to use the card after the
test (for an unknown reason).

> 	o dmesg of NetBSD-1.5_BETA2 for i386
> 	  ATM NIC is "Efficient Networks EN-155"
> dmphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
> em0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0
> en0: interrupting at irq 15
> en0: unexpected timeout in tx DMA test
> ....(repeated same messages at 26 times)
> en0: unexpected timeout in tx DMA test
> en0: WARNING: WMAYBE DMA test failed 56 time(s)
> en0: ATM midway v0, board IDs 6.0, Utopia (pipelined), 512KB on-board RAM
> en0: maximum DMA burst length = 64 bytes (must align)
> en0: 7 32KB receive buffers, 8 32KB transmit buffers allocated
> en0: End Station Identifier (mac address) 00:20:ea:01:1c:d8
> isa0 at pcib0
>
> Sorry for report only.
>
> HEO

-Kenjiro